The GAPS intro: stage 5 consists of all the things you could eat in GAPS intro: Stage 4, with the addition of the bolded items.
GAPS Introduction Stage 5
1. Start day with a glass of water.
2. Add fruit to freshly pressed vegetable juices. Apple, pineapple, mango. Avoid citrus. Drink on an empty stomach.
3. Drink stock.
4. Scrambled eggs with ghee or animal fat. Serve with avocado and cooked vegetables, especially onion.
5. Add cooked applesauce.
6. Add raw vegetables. Start with lettuce and peeled cucumber, increasing gradually. Gradually add carrot, tomato, onion, cabbage. Chew well.
7. Roasted or grilled meats. Serve with cooked vegetables and sauerkraut.
8. Olive oil - 1-2 tbsp. per meal.
9. Stews and casseroles made with meats and vegetables (no spices), lots of fat.
10. Whey/sour cream/yogurt/kefir.
11. Fermented fish or smoked salmon.
12. Homemade ghee.
13. Ripe avocado.
14. Bake bread from ground almonds or other nuts and seeds.
15. Add sauerkraut and fermented vegetables to 1-4 teaspoons with every meals.
16. Soup made from stock: onions, carrots, broccoli, leeks, cauliflower, zucchini, squash, pumpkin, (Cabbage, carrots, greens, peppers) - not parsnips, potato, yams
17. Ginger tea
Ah… the joy of raw vegetables. I didn’t realise how much I’d miss them. I think what I missed most was having something fresh and crunchy alongside my cooked food. I like that combination of flavors and textures.
I haven’t tried cooked applesauce yet, mainly because of the price of organic apples. I was in the health food store and saw them at a great price – much less than regular apples. Well, this was great! Too good to be true. I started filling a bag. Turns out I was looking at the wrong price. The actual cost was four times as much. Oops.
Why you should avoid non-organic apples
Additionally, non-organic apples often don’t taste good to me. With certain vegetables, you really can’t taste the difference between organic and non-organic, but I find that many of the regular apples grown locally are either tasteless, have a mealy texture, or both.
Want to learn more? Consider buying the book.
Want to read more about GAPS?
What is the GAPS Diet?
What Can You Eat on GAPS?
GAPS Intro: Stage 1
GAPS Intro: Stage 2
GAPS Intro: Stage 3
GAPS Intro: Stage 4
Apple image courtesy of Doug88888
This post was shared with Delicious Osessions and Gnowfglins.